Many features were implemented and I worked off all planned items, including some that I considered optional. Interestingly, most of this was implemented during the first two weeks after release 3, and that productivity spike sadly slacked off in the following two weeks. I am still very satisfied with the progress I made this iteration. To recap what I wanted to implement this month, here is the full list:
- [DONE] Make installation easier. There's multiple ways to do this (installer or bundled jar) and requires more research.
- [DONE] Extend UI functionality (preparation for main menus and missions)
- [DONE] Get rid of the prototype-ish graphics and replace them with better ones.
- [DONE] The early prototype of this game included a very simple "camouflage" system which gave combat an interesting twist. This system is going to be re-implemented.
- [DONE] Performance and usability improvements
- [DONE] Many bug fixes (primarily inventories, weapons, sound) and internal improvements
- [DONE] adding some first particle effects
- adding infantry
- mounting vehicles
- [DONE] more advanced AI
I have a lot of plans for the next build already, which is going to be scheduled for 16th of August. On my list are:
- "Walking" AI. So far I only have one for immobile static defenses.
- A first stub of the Tower Defense Mode, as attacker. I can possibly get that one running till then.
- A first stub of the Mission System.
- Playtesting revealed I need better possibilities to take cover. Infantry is going to be a lot more fragile than tanks, so this is VITAL. For this I'm going to use obstacles such as trenches or bunkers as "sensors", and these sensors reduce damage or even have the chance to eliminate a projectile if it touches that sensor. This can be different to each projectile type, such that Missiles aren't able to travel through a wired fence, for example.
- Reimplementation of Infantry. Infantry was not adapted to gfx changes made prior alpha 1 build 3 and thus taken out of the game, so I'm going to reimplement them next update.
- Infantry mounting tanks (later vehicles).
- Many internal improvements, cleanups and bug fixes.
Optional list is:
- Play around with armed motorcycles.
- Consider overheating as additional weapon property.
- A "size-based" Inventory, rather than grid-based: Larger items are larger in inventory than small ones.